Mustad's Lightweight Split Ring "Kaiju" Pliers!

Everything from building rods to maintaining reels. Also an area to share your vintage tackle stories and pictures.

Mustad's Lightweight Split Ring "Kaiju" Pliers!

Postby Scuba Chris » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:08 pm

Super Lightweight 7-1/2in Split Ring Pliers by Mustad!

I have several Mustad pliers i was given to try so i this'll be the first one. My first reaction was how light it was. Then the configurations wasn't the typical jewelers style of a split ring pliers. So i sat down & played with it. After a minute i figured it out. Now i'm in love with it. I feel i don't have to open my other packs now.

The teeth & configuration of the jaw is extremely user friendly. The Tungsten Carbide blades are replaceable. Went through my 325lb SS Wire like it was nothing. The jaws are stainless steel. I liked using the inside jaw for my split ring work on my jigs. The outer jaw is for large plugs.

https://youtu.be/ZQd-47bD8mg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scuba Chris

Re: Mustad's Lightweight Split Ring "Kaiju" Pliers!

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Excellent topic and video Scuba Chris on a very essentially item that fishermen should have in their tackle kit. I have my "knockoff" which I must have bought over dozen years ago which has not only served me well, but never failed in opening up the toughest split rings. I bought my through a tackle shop where I knew the owners for a 20 dollar bill, but you can find them on various buy and sell websites for as low as 15 dollars plus shipping. Just remember that the quality of the metal is the key, and the one I have has been offshore many times and heavily used and still looks in pretty decent condition....

EC NEWELL MAN

Return to FISHING TACKLE A-Z