SHEEPSHEAD BAY TILES ARE BACK ABOARD THE CAPT DAVE III !!!

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

SHEEPSHEAD BAY TILES ARE BACK ABOARD THE CAPT DAVE III !!!

Postby CapAp » Wed May 05, 2021 11:00 am

If your were born in the late 80s or into the 90s and seemed to find your way down Emmons avenue as a kid to go jump on one of our local boats fishing or maybe even get a summer job, we have a few words that just don’t seem to be put together much anymore. Well, until now...

“TILE FISHING IN SHEEPSHEAD BAY”

Yes the stories of the old Tampa’s, multiple Ranger’s, Big Amberjacks, advertising to go 100 miles off and more into the deep on a weekly basis 2 or 3 trips a week to go hunt down the biggest kinds of Tiles and bring them back to the Bay hanging up with horns blowing. 25-40 pound fish were the average with some tipping the scales around 50. Wire line was used just to get down and hold the bottom to catch these golden monsters, while we have line that can sew a button onto our dress shirts today. How times have changed. The fishing eventually depleted and the boats stopped going. Fishing went back to normal routines and/or daily, wrecking, and tuna fishing with on occasion a dedicated Tile trip here and there from what I’ve been told. These hard fighting bottom dwellers of beautiful colors were only stories of how to catch. Where to fish, what to use and “your crazy I’m not fishing 6-800 feet of water!”. Yea we all been there, saying “one day I’ll go”.

Through the last several years and maybe even a bit longer a few boats from other ports fish for them exclusively. With popularity rising for these fish, it seemed to have come back as an option for both the fisherman and party boat owners. It’s Exciting to see new tackle, techniques, and options to fish for these deep water dwellers, but above all…ITS BACK IN SHEEPSHEAD BAY!

Capt Paul Paris

For those of you who never fished with Captain Paul, I can tell you first hand that you are getting aboard a boat with a dedicated professional who not only cares about the safety of his passengers and vessel, but a fisherman who cares about catching and finding you fish! Paul grew up on his family’s boats with his father and several other captains at the helm while walking deck, steering, fishing and constantly learning the ocean and bays. Directly out of high school he went into a maritime college, graduated and learned the ins and outs of being a professional mariner with an ocean going license. He is a unique fisherman who has become a master of his trade in all aspects while continuously building more experience and knowledge under his belt every time the spring line comes off.

A few seasons back Paul started venturing off into the deep with some background of Tile fishing after working a few seasons with the late Capt Jeff Gutman, he decided to bring it to his own boat and port. I personally never made these trips in the past and have been fortunate to give Paul a hand when heading off into the deep and ill tell ya, its one interesting fishery that keeps you wanting to come back for more!

A young Capt Paul working deck aboard the old Voyager

April 19th 2021

After taking a few years off from the fishing industry and getting back in this past year I realized I haven’t written a real report in quite a while. This being our second Tile trip for the year, I felt there is no better opportunity to do so than now. Our last few trips have been nothing less than exceptional with constant hook ups and some nice quality fish in the mix. Exploring new bottom with different conditions to fine tune our trips for the future. Again exciting to say the least.

Rigs, Jigs and more

On this particular trip we shaped up around 6:00 PM after coming in from an offshore wreck trip on Sunday the 18th for a quick turn around. We loaded up ice, bait, tackle, food passengers and prepared to make our journey to the deep. A few familiar faces along with some new ones were aboard and the of course bags of tackle. Im a big believer in, when in doubt KEEP IT SIMPLE! You can never go wrong with the basics when its comes to rigs and jigs to start. But as it is, I too am just as bad and intrigued by seeing all types of new rigs, jigs, tackle and styles that people come aboard with. ITS PART OF THE FUN OF FISHING! Of course you can buy everything u possible need off the rack and shelf and yes we all want a solid catch in the end, but the FUN of building something from scratch no matter what it may be to see it go to use and be productive makes the sport so much more fun!

AJ with an impressive collection of slow pitch jigs

When it comes to bait fishing for Tiles, an easy comparison is drifting for Fluke. You are using almost the same techniques and style of rigs but on a bigger scale. Dragging bait attached to a sinker, swivel and leader on the ocean floor waiting for a bite to hook up. In a nutshell, that’s it! We have also been fortunate to have A.J. Coleman aboard who has been book full of knowledge when it comes to deep drop fishing but more in particular Slow Pitch Jigging for Tiles. He recently became part of the Pro Staff team at Ruck Jigs and has been field testing them with great success on these trips. A style of jig and technique where you bounce a narrow jig anywhere from about 6-12 ounces across the ocean floor and hooking up! Yes we do hit the bottom, stay on the bottom and catch fish….a lot of fish too. A.J. has an incredible amount of knowledge and will be on the upcoming trips and would be more than happy to answer any questions about rigging and jigging that you would have. Don’t be shy we are here to help! In the meanwhile, take a look at some of the rigs from our last trip below. You can see in the pictures 2 styles of tying but the same rig overall. One preference is crimping with chaffing gear, the other knots. Palomar and doubled up improved clinch knots will do just fine. 80lb leader attached to an 8/0 size hook, J or circle both work but it’s up to preference. Both have stand off gear/tubes with some simple glow bead or skirt of some sort. (Have fun with it!) See what works, but again simple is always good.

As far as reels and rods, you want to have a reel with enough gearing to crank and line capacity to get down 400-800 ft with scope. A nice big handle helps too. The rod should be at least around 7’8” and sturdy enough to handle a large sinker with enough give to handle a fish and have some fun with it. I won’t get into too much detail of it all here but we did make a video of some recommendations for upcoming trips along with some bait selections that I will post below. You can also take a look at some of these pictures for the rod and reel set ups for a general idea of size and look.

Capt Paul with the Ocean Max and Proteus set up

If you would like to buy a set up that is versatile for all this deep drop fishing, Capt Paul recommends the Daiwa Proteus 8 rod matched with an Ocean Max 10 spooled with 50lb J braid. You don’t want to do all that hand cranking for the day? No problem! An electric reel recommended by A.J. would be the Tanacom 750. It’s been field tested and abused on several trips and has proven to be a solid choice that will last you for years to come. If you would like to buy a custom rod locally here in Brooklyn, go see “Flounder” in Stella Maris. He has been field testing his custom Tile rods and is very pleased with the outcome and can make a rod to your specs and his recommendations, he may even hook you up with a hand tied custom rig or two...

Bait

Ah yes, yet another Fishermans “secret” to his trade….picking the perfect piece of bait from the pile! Oh the joys of finding that one big spear in the box, perfect size crab to snafu, hand sized whole squid that you just can’t resist placing on your hook and waiting for it to hit the bottom…maybe even 2 of them on the hook…ohh the excitement as if u found a ruby in a pile of coal that no one saw. Haha. Yes bait. Well Tiles just aren’t so much different than what you do for fluke fishing yet again! A strip and some squid seems to do the trick! Fortunately Capt Paul provides a great array of fresh choices on board with guys bringing their own. On this trip we had Mackerel, Salmon, Silver Eel, False Albacore, Bluefish and Squid. The fish and Eel were cut into strips while the squid stayed whole. Again, back to the basics. Place a strip on the hook 1st with a squid or 2 after on top. The squid is more of the scent and will move too but will come off easier as the strips stay on better for the flutter. I personally liked the Silver Eel strips. Ive heard for years how they were a great bait as it makes sense since they are a bottom dweller and Tiles most likely feed on them, but above all they have tough skin and stay on the hook great. Squid is just an overall great piece of bait and the Tile love them. Ive seen Sardines used on trips also and do produce but on this particular trip we did not have them on board.

Arrival to the Grounds

After a long steam we arrive to a gorgeous morning off in the Atlantic. As usual Capt Paul has a plan for the day and always excited to try new grounds that he feels would produce with the conditions for the day. At this point everyone is on the starboard rail plugging in electric reels, sorting out bait and getting ready at the rail. Capt Paul gives us to OKAY to drop our lines and off they go. The silence is a common thing on a 1st drift with positive attitudes and a focus at your rod tip, until well you know the phrase…”ONE ON!” Yea its started pretty quickly with 1 here, 1 there, a good solid pick for our 1st drift. A few bigger ones a few small ones, and the boys in the stern tossing jigs with a few too. Smiles and relief! We found a few! Capt Paul was happy to see some come aboard, but not satisfied. LINES UP! We make our move about the canyon walls looking for what we think would be the better bet. Paul knows what he wants to find and what he’s looking for. We stop the boat make some adjustments and yet again LINES DOWN! The boys were happy catching a few, but we knew Paul was on the hunt for what we had experienced on previous trips. The drift began and so did the fishing, well actually the catching part! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ON! They started to climb! We found the drift we were looking for and they stayed with us. The jigs were being pounced and the bait rigs engulfed. We stayed on our drift for quite a while with consistent hook ups up and down the rail. Paul and I watched, gaffed, and of course took footage. Paul finally dropped a line and caught a few while I took photos of some of the guys catch. He had been listening to me speak of how I rebuilt a Penn Master Mariner 349H for deep drop fishing since the winter and I finally took it with me. He turned around and said “You been talking about using this reel for months and you finally bring it out and its just sitting here, go use it!” I laughed and almost didn’t but I couldn’t help myself and doubled back and said ah screw it okay. I was very pleased with the outcome of the reel. I Upgraded the spool and frame to aluminum for half the weight but comes standard from Penn with 9/0 sized gearing and a decent ratio with a big diameter spool for a good solid and steady retrieve without killing you or the fish. BASICS haha. Anyway enough with custom reels back to fishing! We ended our day with several double headers and fish to around 20lbs with perfect weather to boot. Unfortunately it was time to blow 3 whistles and get our butts home. We got um up and made our steam back north with photo ops of ocean sunsets and Piles of Tiles!

Dinner and to the docks

Well the boat is cleaned, fish are filleted, and we’re hungry. Its a good thing we caught some fish right?! The joys of eating freshly caught fish. A luxury that many city folk never get to experience. Don’t worry, I won’t get started in on my rant of fish selling in Sheepshead Bay on this one! But seriously Tilefish are just absolutely delicious. A comparison to lobster meat as it breaks off into chunks and tastes just amazing alone with no frills. Searing it on a skillet and attempting to get under it with a spatula takes no hesitation with plating it must be done quickly as it is so delicate it just flakes apart. Its always our treat at the end of any trip to eat some of our catch especially offshore. Little salt, pepper and butter and boy…outstanding. We did have some burger on board so I decided to experiment quickly for a little surf and turf. Yes ladies and gentlemen, the “Golden Burger” is now on the menu! A beef patty topped with some fresh Tile and some fixins for a little pizzazz and bam…burger heaven!

Bellys full and a quiet cabin we steered watching our numbers change (I’m still in loran world) and waiting for the the 500 line (almost there), 600 line (getting closer) 650 Oh…17! 1 more hour. Haha. Yea we made it back safe and sound around 3am. A madd dash for the trucks to line up and load up the gear. Lots of goodbyes, great trip, and see you on the next one! Which is coming up shortly!

Sheepshead Bay Tiles
It does exist folks and after many years of not being in our port Capt Paul is putting in the time, money and effort to make it an option here in Brooklyn, NY yet again. The Capt Dave III is a Blount built steel hulled boat and is as safe as she comes with comfort when you need her in the big seas. She drifts like a dream and has a good skipper behind the wheel.

Come try something that hasn’t been done in decades, Sheepshead Bay Tile fishing and be part of a nostalgic experience here in Brooklyn.

Next trip is Thursday May 13th 2021 5:00 PM departure and Returning Sunday May 16th 5:00 AM. Once we are out there, we are out there and we will have plenty of fishing time to explore the Canyons of the Atlantic for new bodies of fish and more!

Hope to see you on board!

-Captain Keith Apman

ENCORE!
Some video footage of the trip and some tips from ProStaffer AJ Coleman
Enjoy!

The Trip Highlights
https://youtu.be/a8VTchkuLI0

Tackle Tips and Tricks with AJ Coleman
https://youtu.be/HiKQkSbxpfo

Bait Selection with AJ Coleman
https://youtu.be/pUVy9GV9E6Q
CapAp

Re: SHEEPSHEAD BAY TILES ARE BACK ABOARD THE CAPT DAVE III !!!

Postby MisterX » Thu May 13, 2021 1:46 am

One of the best articles (if not the best) I have ever read on Tilefishing!!!!

WOW....

This old dog has definately learned some new stuff here.....THANK YOU!

Kudos Paulie..........
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Re: SHEEPSHEAD BAY TILES ARE BACK ABOARD THE CAPT DAVE III !!!

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri May 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Many have looked, read and learned a few things along the way from Captain Keith. You happen to be the first to take a few moments to appreciate the hard work in putting it together. It happens to be one of the best articles on the topic I have ever read. Thanks Sergio...
EC NEWELL MAN

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM