MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:22 pm

On this Columbus Day, a little short note here since I did put together a story about a shipwreck find off Long Island which I first posted upon socialized media and will be posted later tonight.

First though is that it is opening day for blackfish in the LONG ISLAND SOUND or NY-CT Tautog management area, and Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet sent this pic over of the first keeper tog onboard the JAMES JOSEPH for the fall 2021 season, and hopefully many more as far as fish, but more so pleasant memories for fishermen catching a few tasty fish for dinner.

As all of us know here in the northeast region, the weather is what someone told me as "October-cranky" and the combination of extremely uncomfortable sea heights combined with a northeast wind blowing through the area at 22 knots, is definitely keeping many tied to the dock today, and from what it seems tomorrow - at least for comfortably going offshore.

I do know that Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS has a offshore tuna trip up leaving Tuesday night, and who knows where the YFT and penguins will be set up as the last report I heard was that one body of fish moved interestingly enough, to the east of Freight Train Alley, and the other body of larger YFT that have been found in the Hudson Canyon. It should be interesting to hear the stories and see some pics coming right after this weather system blows through....

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 pm

As I mentioned earlier today, the story first written by the researcher who located the vessel, and below that, my personal thoughts to the story...

Eastern Search & Survey - Ben Roberts (and Courtesy to for the hard work in making this shipwreck find)

We're never the first to find a wreck. Except for sometimes.

"Last week we successfully concluded a 2+ year search for the JOHANNA LENORE, a 76'-long stern trawler that sank with no loss of life approximately 40 miles off eastern Long Island during a 2011 winter storm. Due to its recent sinking, our usual methods of historical research, "hang" databases and algorithms were not applicable, so this one was found through good old-fashioned "mowing the lawn" over a search grid.

Thinking it had likely transformed into a healthy "artificial reef" with the potential for good fishing, collaborator Steve C. first suggested the JOHANNA LENORE to us as a search project a few years ago. He shared two sets of coordinates that a friend had obtained from the USCG: one corresponded to where a helicopter rescued the crew from the sinking boat, and the other was where an oil slick was spotted during a subsequent overflight. They’re spaced about one mile apart and unfortunately it was unclear which set corresponded to which event.

In July 2019 we set out to search the area. After an hour our A-frame started jerking violently, then became motionless as our sonar dove to the bottom. There were a lot of sharks in the area so naturally we assumed that Jaws had attacked our gear. It was also possible that we had found the wreck "the bad way", by entangling our gear in the wreck's rigging, becoming our own "hang log" statistic. But soon it became clear that our stainless tow cable had parted, presumably a result of rusting deep within the layers spooled on the winch over the previous winter. The sonar was eventually retrieved with difficulty; we enjoyed a "shark safari" on the way home and then placed the search project on the back burner.

Last week we returned to the area while transiting between other projects (more to come on those later). A recent review of historical weather data during the sinking had given us a new theory as to which direction the JOHANNA LENORE was probably drifting as she sank, so this time our plan was to lay down a few more tracks of coverage off that side of our prior search grid. Within minutes we found the wreck 1-2 miles from the two sets of USCG coordinates.

JOHANNA LENORE lies upright in 225' of water on a sandy bottom. She is perfectly intact with her outriggers and rigging towering high above her. The shadow of her net is visible, suspended by its floats above her stern winch, but no other commercial fishing gear is readily apparent on the site. While there are some faint dredge scours in the surrounding bottom, none intersect her position, so it appears that she has not yet been found by commercial fishermen.

For now, the wreck's precise location is being reserved for Steve, although we may share it more broadly in the future. Finding it is our way of repaying a small favor to him for being such a helpful, knowledgeable, sharing, cross-community team player and an all-around nice guy. Steve, apologies if this causes you to receive a flood of offers from friends wanting to take you out to fish the wreck."
----------------------------------
Added JOHANNA LENORE to our free Google Maps chart:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer

====================================================

SNAFU 2021: Installment #36: 10.11.21 - A offshore Long Island shipwreck discovery, and thanks to Ben R. who completed the final chapter to the story on the sinking of the JOHANNA LENORE.....

I do not believe on this day of celebrating the discovery of America - wherever on our side of mother Earth, is a true life shipwreck find by Ben Roberts which I thought for many years would only be found by a dragger or scalloper who had the mishap of hanging up on the JOHANNA LENORE.

It was during the blustery second week in January of 2011 when this news was published by Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound watch standers:

"Fishing vessel Johanna Lenore, 40 nautical miles south of Montauk, N.Y.

Crewmembers Benjamin Payne, Travis Tillet, and Jonathan Pickett as well as Captain Jeffrey Wise were transported off the Lenore, a 75 foot commercial stern trawler out of Point Judith, before it sank"

Thank the Good Lord that these fishermen survived such a heart stopping event, and I personally know what it is to pull people out of the water and that shocked wide-eyed expression on their face as a life saver grabs a firm hold of them. I also know from hearing it first hand from someone I worked with, Jimmy S. who told me, and it was only one time while at work, with the details when Captain Brads 'TIKI' iced up in January while coming in from the Hudson Canyon, and those eerie words for any fishermen of "put your survival suit on." It is one of those rare feelings in life that you never, ever want to experience, as you do not want to relive those endless moments until your two feet are upon a solid and dry platform.

These are thereafter stories for the local shipwreck hunters go out and try to find over the years, and the JOHANNA LENORE was what I call a "high probability" success in locating since I was provided the gps by two friends, one who was previously in the USCG and now a party boat fleet owner/operator out of Captree.

But in having a "sure thing" from the USCG SAR units who go "all out" to arrive at the scene of the tragedy, the primary course of action is to save all lives, and then the recording of the location in the USCG incident report.

As with somewhat similar circumstances in the July 2008 sinking of the fv SEA BREEZE out of Atlantic City, a "sure set of gps provided by the SAR unit out of that location," was given to me by one of the members of the scuba team which had planned to dive upon the recent sunken wreckage. Problem was, and as far as I know until this day when I last spoke to him, the inaccuracy in the last location has led to the 'NF' or "not found" by someone I know out of Cape May who is still looking for the wreckage. as of October 2021.

It so seemed that the JOHANNA LENORE would be added to the list of commercial fishing vessels that sunk in the northeast region during the 21st century which would not be easily found as the noted location was, and from past experience, as inaccurate as an old set of LORAN A TDs. Full well knowing this, it was added in my chicken-scratched gps book of "look for's," between the few years earlier sunk SEA BREEZE, and then in October of 2014 with the 60' long steel hull SAKONNET LOBSTER which went down northeast of HARRYs, or so we thought.

Finding shipwrecks is never an easy endeavor, even when you have a good friend who works on a commercial fishing boat who hands you a set of numbers with the name of the wreck and adds, "I was up and down on it." Something to remember when hunting for “sure thing spots” is that the first rule should be "that the only sure thing in life is death and taxes" so you will not be disappointed to steaming out and then stopping over an empty piece of bottom. Unless they tell you that the wreck looks like it is going to go right through the bottom of your vessel when you stop over it, then it is just is another good to high probability hang to be investigated when you’re out fishing or passing through the area.

It brings us to the news which Ben is passing along here, and this to me is one of the most fulfilling bits of news I can hear these days. I was excited, and literally doing a little cheer in my chair when Ben first shared the scans with me. My first thought was if this was LOBSTA 1, another longtime wreck of interest which has its own backstory to tell. Resting on its keel and with the rigging still rising up from the main deck of the vessel, it surely is a sight to behold, at least for people like me.

So where does story go from this point on as the proverbial 'Jennie' has now been shared publicly?

I do wish the late Tim Coleman was still around to share this story with since he like Mel Deak from MELs-PLACE would immediately send over information and pictures which would leave one to wonder, "where did you get all this about the vessel?"

Eventually it will come to the day to steam off and drop a jig down, and I should add that since my time is so limited these days in doing home and family obligations, I will make sure that it will be a trip to also visit and drop a line down on a few special places and make it a very special and memorable day for those on this particular trip. I do not know who I will go with, but I do have my short list of fishing friends who will be the first to share this experience.

By the way, anyone who has any "sure thing" wrecks or hangs to look for, send an email over to mb1143f@gmail.com - and I realize there will be a good amount of spamming from this request. I definitely will post some of the messages sent over at a future time.

Enjoy this Columbus Day wreck finding story, and it would not be possible in telling this part of the story other than for the work that Ben Roberts has done here....
==================================================================================

Here is a little story written on socialized media by Richard Fuka:

Welcome to our Community by Rhode Island Fishermen's Alliance

"On Tuesday, April 5th the Rhode Island Fishermen's Alliance had the privilege to sponsor a guided tour of Point Judith, Rhode Island's largest fishing port, to a group of 20 graduating 1st Class Cadets from the United States Coast Guard Academy and their Civilian Fisheries Class Professor, Karina Mrakovcich. The Cadets' tour was led by Alliance President Rich Fuka and Vice President Jerry Carvalho and started at Town Dock Seafood, where the Cadets were given a firsthand look at the lengthy process of what Town Dock goes through to get fresh fish off a vessel and out the door to be delivered all around the world.

While the Cadets watched two vessels unload, they where approached and introduced to Capt. Jeff Wise who shared his story with them, offering thanks and respect to the Coast Guard for their heroic rescue of he and his crew and the attempts made to save his sinking vessel "Johanna Lenore.""

IMAGES: Note the two documents are from NEWSDAY - https://www.newsday.com/ and should be found online. Other images are courtesy of Ben R.

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:07 am

Despite the weather that blew through yesterday, Captain Jimmy on the JAMES JOSEPH not only caught some quality on the LI Sound opening day tog season trip, but also had striped bass, blues and weakfish on the afternoon into evening trip. Just remember that the afternoon to evening trips will eventually be winding day as the daylight continues to wane earlier each and everyday as we go through the month of October....

Captain Joe of the KING COD sent these over yesterday afternoon from the prior week YFT trips and said that the KING COD has been running offshore for yellowfin and fishing 35-40 fathoms with fish too 100lbs. As long as the YFT are within striking range, he will be running trips before going back to the last few weeks of mid-range and what will be the offshore sea bass trips for the rest of 2021...

In another sign of the times in 2021, one of the most noted charter fishing operators in the northeast region, Captain Michael Potts has finally sold the BLUEFIN IV out of Montauk. Captain Potts has been one of the must-fish with fishing operations that has been around for many decades to charter throughout the whole calendar year, and when he was not chartering he would like most go out commercial fishing.

There was a video posted on the BLUEFIN IV that drew the attention of many fishermen as the vessel was seen steaming off to its new homeport, and Captain Potts who was selling all his permits along the boat for the past year told an interesting story about the buyer who saw the boat while cleaning fish on top of the 'YELLOW SHEET.' The fellow was interested and contacted him to see the boat, and was even "that much more interested" when he saw the boat at the dock that he wanted to buy it then and there, of which Captain Potts said let's first go for a ride, and so they did. Without any hesitation the boat was purchased and It is being relocated to Greenwich, CT., where it will become a 2nd home 'sleep onboard' while also doing a little fishing during the season.

A number of fishermen who know Captain Potts knew he has been suffering for the last few years with a number of health issues, and then the related concerns the last two years in coming into contact people who may have the 'Co-19' led him to finally wrap up his well noted fishing career in Montauk. Hopefully Captain Potts will have a number of healthy years going forward, and below is some information about the captain himself and the BLUEFIN IV.....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 am

Just an hour ago, I received a notification that there has been a drone at the location where the 68' foot scallop vessel 'BEAR' ran aground early Saturday morning a slight distance north of Barnegat Inlet. It appears that a team of workers has formed to assist in getting the vessel pulled out of the surfline and refloated.

As you can see in these screen captures of the video and uploaded by YouTuber known as SuazOn:

ISLAND BEACH STATE PARK
Fishing boat runs aground, Jersey shore island beach Nj 10/9/21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KUVZM8G58

There is a team working along the water line and a yellow hawser attached from the fv BEAR out to a crew- boat standing by a distance away from both the surf and shallow water along that area of Island Beach State Park. You will also see at one minute into the video, two crew members on deck lifting up and out, water pails which appear to being filled by a crew member in the hold. (NOTE: I was told on the phone the other day by someone who knows about this incident and fishermen involved that those pails could be with fuel as the crew was removing fuel from the tanks).

What has been contributing to slowing down in the vessel being removed has been the extended period of easterly winds blowing since Saturday, adding to the difficulty in having this operation successfully completed....

ImageImage
Last edited by EC NEWELL MAN on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:28 am

On this Wednesday morning, and thanks to Captain Keith A. who sent over the first two pictures of the new 'SUPER CURRENT' which will be the flagship vessel in the ISLAND CURRENT fleet.

Below you will see the vessel through the years as it first went from Gulf Craft to Belmar, NJ, then to Freeport, Long Island before relocating east to Captree. Then in one of the famous 'Speedy' boat sales, it became for the last decade as Captain Dave Brennan - PECONIC STAR EXPRESS out of Greenport, NY.

Images courtesy of Me; Deak of MEL'S-PLACE at MIKE's MARITIME MEMORABILIA - http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/ and other images that are attributed to socialized media...

The latest tog report from Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA.:

As good as the fishing was Friday....It was "that bad" on Saturday!

We tried really hard and the fish would not bite. The onset of the east wind/low pressure did us in for sure and even the stripers in the river would have none of it!

Sunday on the other hand had Mike C. from NJ out and it was one stop shopping for easy/early tog limits with all very nice sized stuff. We also made a stop in the river and whacked a bunch of stripers including a nice slot fish.

Biker Chick Paula, Dalton and Armindo below from Monday trip.

And then there was today, Tuesday! The weather was great and I had two people not show because they were afraid of the forecast??? Boy, did they miss out! Again a very nice size average and nothing kept under 18 inches as part of the "full boat limit" (everyone's limit plus mine). You just could not ask for a better tog trip...

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet is having excellent near shore tog and sea bass fishing at this time. It is true mixed bag of blackfish, sea bass and scup, which is the best part of the early fall season in Long Island Sound....

Yesterday I spoke with Captain Michael Ardolino of the:

HUNTER, Sheepshead Bay, NY: https://www.hunterfishingnyc.com/

Who passed along that he is now running the MUD HOLE - BONITA, ALBACORE & BLUEFISH trips, something that he looks forward to doing at this time of the season. Take advantage of this top water fishing as it only lasts a few short weeks...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:01 am

An overcast Thursday morning, but yesterday the new SUPER CURRENT and part of the ISLAND CURRENT FLEET: https://islandcurrent.com/ and will be fishing very shortly. All the best to Captain Chris and the crew out of City Island, NY and in Pt. Judith, RI....

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet sent this over, and a reminder of the top-notch opening season tog along with big sea bass and scup being caught at this time. Fishing in 12 ftw, yes that is in 12 feet of water and using 1/2 ounce blackfish jigs, you will see some trophy size fish being caught. Captain Jimmy told me how many bottom fish were caught on the charter, and it reminds us of the "good old days bottom fishing at this time of the year." On the party boat it also continues with fishermen having some very close to shore 'limits' mixed bag fishing at this time....

I did speak last night to Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS who told me that Captain Kenny on their offshore local trip had just a few tuna, but it sounded much better than what the rest of the boats fishing out in the old 'Freight Train Alley' area. But he did add that his bottom fishing trips are catching some quality large and jumbo sea bass and scup, and that even with traveling a little further offshore, it is well worth it. Finally he did want fishermen to look for the striped bass trips which should be starting within the coming days...

One of the boats I know fishing out of a south shore, eastend fishing port has been seeing some of the biggest triggerfish that he has ever seen, and below in the pic is one of many of these triggers that easily weighted in at over 4 lbs, and best yet that these fish are still being caught in water depths under 30 feet...

In the "I bet you don't have one of these," this happens to be pretty interesting in what fishermen will find buried at the bottom in one of their clothing draws, and I have not seen this shirt in many decades with this once noted party boat out of Belmar, NJ (with an image attributed to socialized media)....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:50 pm

As we reach the middle of the month in October, blackfish season opens for those on the south shore of Long Island and NYC. I have not heard one report on the fishing, and it should be very interesting to see what is caught by the time of the next fishing update.

I did get to speak with both Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS and Captain Kenny Higgins of the CAPTREE PRIDE and the boats will be transitioning to striped bass fishing with Captain Kenny and Captain Larry on deck, putting the first keeper rockfish caught while fishing near Fire Island Inlet. Captain Rob is still running off to the mid-range wrecks for biscuits and scup, and I am also looking forward to his report as he mentioned he was going to fish and prospect some areas further offshore....

In digging through some of my scrambled files, this after my computer crashed last year, I did find some better images of the NIGHTHAWK out of Belmar, NJ, with a MELS-PLACE & MIKES MARITIME MEMORABILIA image from when the vessel was the APPLEGATE, and there was a light blue color change to the paint in the years following.

Many here in Sheepshead Bay do remember when it was the FRIENDSHIP III (this after the FRIENDSHIP II burnt), just for a bare few years as Captain Mark Brent then relocated this party boat up north as it took a whale watching contract which the SUPER RANGER family had at that time. it was then sold and came back to New Jersey as you read in the following paragraph with also the noticeable change with the added pulpit.

I did forget that there was for also a few short years as the MOHAWK EXPLORER (I do not have an image under this ownership) before it became and well noted for many years, with a pic attributed to Carl W., of the NIGHTHAWK, here as it was coming out of Belmar Inlet - and these pics I somehow located in one of my old party boat folders.

Finally, I did see where the information on MIKES MARITIME MEMORABILIA notes the last name of the vessel as the boat was sold and relocated to the west coast. Interesting enough, it seems it was sold a second time and went from the:

MONTEREY PRINCESS to GODDESS FANTASY: https://seagoddesswhalewatch.com/whale- ... alifornia/ with the PRINCESS MONTEREY WHALE WATCHING operation then buying one of the last:

Yank Shipyard built, GOLDEN SUNSHINE vessels: https://montereywhalewatching.com/

Notice the stern 'step extension' added to the vessel in the last two images...

ImageImage

Here is another image of the PECONIC STAR EXPRESS from 2015 while tied up at the Railroad Dock in Greenport, and now during the second week in October 2021 as the SUPER CURRENT out of City Island, NY. Congrats to Captain Chris and the crew with the new super cruiser joining the ISLAND CURRENT fleet...

In the 'Believe it or NOT, fishing files,' this image shows a giant herring, better known as a tarpon that was caught up in what is a pound net setup at the eastern end of Long Island. I would imagine that after the video was taken, this critter was released in order for it to make it way back south to Florida waters....

It is big fish time in Montauk and Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, had a true BO' biscuit caught yesterday, and this may be the biggest sea bass for him on the boat for the 2021 season....

Captain Steve of the LADY M, also out of MTK, had some large pork chops, many between the 2 to 2.5 lb mark being caught right near the shoreline. He said that without even targeting scup at this time, a shrimp basket can be easily filled of these jumbo porgies...

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet had some big blues on yesterday morning charter trip, and the JAMES JOSEPH II party boat continues on the 'limits' warm weather blackfish and scup fishing at this time...

Last edited by EC NEWELL MAN on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:01 pm

As we on this Saturday morning cross the halfway point in the month of October, there have been a number of mixed fishing reports, depending on where you have been fishing. One of the most notable has been with blackfish, and in a number of areas where the fishery was now open, it was very, very slow fishing for tog and one captain summed it up as "the water is just to warm right now." Tuna fishing though went from barely any fish after the previous week storm to now a massive body of YFT and other small tuna along with swordfish in the Hudson Canyon, and there will be a report here from a captain who had one very memorable fishing trip....

As you can see with Captain Jimmy on the JAMES JOSEPH, shallow water Long Island Sound tog fishing continues to produce limits, and you will notice many of these fish are caught on blackfish jigs of different colors. Also big scup for those wanting to fill the pail, as well as some sea bass still being caught close to shore....

These were two interesting pics along with a video on socialized media posted by Chris Steinert, Captain Dale of the JAMAICA son, as his father went by (and waving in the wheelhouse) while coming in from tuna fishing as Chris was outbound to the scallop grounds. These are some neat pictures of the BIG 125' JAMAICA which was built at Derecktor Shipyard in 1977 and still fishing our offshore fishing grounds.....

I did not speak with Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS as it seems he did get in late from what I would imagine was a very long ride offshore and then home as I mentioned he was intending to do the other day. He did find a few tuna and some quality-size sea bass, and I always recommend for fishermen to bring jigs on these trips since they will be very productive for both pelagic and demersal species....

In following up on the story of the fv BEAR (with image captured from the last video) which has been grounded for a week off of Island Beach, north of Barnegat Inlet, New Jersey. The vessel has finally on Friday been pulled off the beach and through the surfline with yesterday's news of the fv BEAR currently in the process of being towed to the shipyard for repairs....

Just a heads up here for those looking for tuna fishing bait, on socialized media 'GEORGE BOOYAH CHARTERS' located at 172 Barnes Rd. in Moriches had sardines for $25 and chunking butters for $15 dollars a flat. With the price of bait these days, those looking for a value price, here is one such source right here on Long Island....

Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, MTK., continues to have easy limit nearshore sea bass fishing at this time, and of course this should not be surprising with the still warm air temperature at this time in the early fall with biscuit and scup fishing out of Montauk in October...

Here is another 'back in the day' reminder from an advertisement in the old LONG ISLAND FISHERMAN magazine, and to think this was almost a half a century ago when Captain Richie Kessinger, STARSTREAM II came into Freeport. A few noted stories on the owner/operators who had contracted at that time in 1973 with Scott Tibbs of GULF CRAFT to build these new aluminum super cruisers, and it involved the Becker and Canisi family as well as Captain Richie benefiting in finally contracting to build Hull #184 at Gulf Craft.

Captain Richie told me the story behind the name 'STARSTREAM' which came from an article and advertisement about TWA and Boeing Aircraft with the new and innovative 707 airliner - back in the day. Even Captain Paul Forsberg Sr. thought that it was a great name for a party boat being called 'STARSTREAM' but it should be noted that originally the name was with two separate words in 'STAR STREAM.'

Anyhow, anyone interested in seeing the history of Captain Richie from the early days of the 'Sailfish' of Freeport, Viking (in Freeport), CAPTAIN JACK and of course with the STARSTREAM, can go though the photo album put together by his son:

HISTORIC PHOTOS - Captain Richie K.:
https://sites.google.com/site/starstrea ... ric-photos

With any fishing forum website, having an INSIDER fishing report is what many look forward to, and I for one try as best to hear the reports and see the pics. Here is one directly from a pretty well noted and retired fishing captain who was invited out a tuna and swordfish, Hudson Canyon fishing trip which I would find hard to top in the number of swordfish brought to the boat and released, as well as mako sharks and YFT tuna. Those two swordfish images are the two largest that were harvested with weights of 170 and 160 pounds.

One of the insider tips being passed along since these fishermen specialize in swordfish was in using a rigged eel, or better known to most as a deep drop skirted eel. He told me that these were so deadly in hookups, that it is a "must have" when you go offshore sword fishing.

The rig as shown below is also aided with a small - but powerful for it's size strobe light rigged up above the bait, similar to what is well noted for use by commercial fishermen who target swordfish. For those looking to buy these strobe lights, a website which caters to the commercial fishing industry which I have posted a number of times in the past, should give you an idea on what is available, SNL CORP: https://www.snlcorp.com/SNL/CommercialT ... ights.aspx but most recreational fishermen will use and have good success with these (type this term into your favorite search engine) Diamond Fishing LED Light Swordfish Lure - New Flash Sport Outdoor Lamp - Squid Bait Strobe Deep Drop Underwater. - and personally I have seen fishermen have their own personal choice of color in using either the red, clear and blue colors - I have not seen green though for these lights.

One thing to notice in the link here is that BAITMASTERS: https://www.baitmasters.com/store/shopd ... 01&cat=Eel has the price which I had to check for one rig, since I was told that at FISHERMENS SUPPLY on Channel Drive, they cost 35 dollars a piece and the shop had not one left in stock. For those looking for something similar, use the albacore strip skirts which can still locally can be purchased.

Getting back to the fishing on this trip, the rig is dropped down to 200 ftw, and you just hold on as it was a hookup time and time again until they ran out of these baits. Along with the once in a lifetime sword fishing, makos were hooked and caught, with one fish which had a few longline circle hook in its mouth. size. One legal shark was kept and put into the fish hold as well as a big catch of YFT made in the early morning hours where it became "enough" and time to go home with the fish box literally "jammed full" with various big game pelagic critters.

You will also see a chrome jig in the pics below, and yes it caught fish, as at one point a YFT was hooked as soon as it was descending through the water column, then fought for awhile until it was then lost in a tangled line, and then another YFT hookup with the jig still in the water. The point here is that the terminal tackle we have used over the decades works in catching fish, and once again in always repeating to bring along a few plain chrome and hammered jigs in your tackle box.

It was some trip, and he said that during the early evening hours while trolling down the canyon wall it was a dead sea as far as fish readings. Something happened during the night where as dawn was breaking, it became a scene out of Nat Geo with the amount of fish and bait life around the boat. From what he said at the end of the call is that he may never see what was caught on this trip - whenever he does make an offshore canyon trip in the future as it was "that good!....."

This was sent in yesterday of a very nice trophy bulldog tog with this caption,

"NE Fisherman Subscriber Vince Eats from Albany, NY with a beast of a tog today on Little Sister out of Westport, MA."

Of course, Captain Jason will be sending over a fish report update when he gets a chance...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:18 pm

With a fresh northwest wind and a noticeable chill in the Sunday morning air, is a reminder that we are well into the fall fishing season. One interesting fishing report from yesterday though, made me wonder how much the fishing season has shifted literally "a month forward" as Captain Kenny Higgins of the CAPTREE PRIDE put together this catch of weakfish while fishing in the Great South Bay. Normally this fishing occurs during September, but here we have this catch of weakfish during the middle of October.

I do not remember this happening in the last few years, but with the warm waters here to the west we are not only seeing this occurring within the south shore bays, and the fall jigging striped bass fishing still lagging at this time.

One last note here is the current fall-run off of Montauk Pt. literally started two weeks ago as if someone "flipped a switch," and of course it can happen just like that as the rockfish migrate through, and west of Shinnecock Inlet over the coming week with this hard northwest wind now blowing through our region....

By the way, one of the most consistent fish-catching lures you can carry is seen below, and many old time fishermen here out of Sheepshead Bay will remember the amount of weakfish and striped bass the BAIT TAIL has caught over the decades.

There have been a number of different designs of this leadhead since they were made by Don Bingle of Bingle Tackle in the early 1970s, and the shape of the original lure was later copied by another local Brooklyn based tackle company, S&G which was also very popular with fishermen out of the Bay.

Changes have been made during the following years by other tackle manufacturers with the most noticeable being with the material that was used behind the leadhead that went from the dark tan colored surgical tubing to a colored plastic tube with flash added, to surgical tubing - with the textbook 'natural' color along with a dark shade of green surgical tubing (which worked as good), and finally with many fishermen now adding a soft plastic tail of varying lengths and colors to the lure.

The BAIT TAIL is supposed to imitate a small baitfish such as a false anchovy, or what we consider 'white bait,' but many fishermen consider it is a rough copy of most forage fish along the east coast. Of course with the lures being produced today that are figuratively as close to an accurate representation of a fish, the BAIT TAIL leadhead is pretty crude, but we still effective in catching fish.

To further emphasize this point, it will work as well then the traditional chrome diamond jig or bucktail and the BAIT TAIL was found to be a productive fish catcher when even casting then squidding for king mackerel in the Florida Keys. In fact decades ago, commercial pin hookers found that this lure when used in the fall for striped bass, also had a knack for catching finicky false albacore and bonita when cast into busting schools of fish in or near an inlet, then quickly skipped along the surface back to the angler.

Even though we see a few different shapes of the leadhead, the first key is in using the proper leadhead weight, especially when working the lure slowly along the bottom, thus the reason for carrying along different weighted heads. The second is in either using the primary method of squidding a BAIT TAIL, or in using another technique which has great success - in bouncing on the bottom or jigging as the vessel drifts, especially when surface feeding fish sound. The third tip is in the direction you cast, and then having or allowing the lure to 'sweep' across the current as you retrieve it back to the vessel.

I realize that this should have been mentioned during August when we start to see weakfish school up in areas such as in the back of both Raritan and Jamaica Bay, as well as in Reynolds Channel. The point here as I discussed with a charter captain yesterday is that the fishing season when weakfish and striped bass traditionally begin to aggregate for their fall migration, has led us to forget about this particular lure until this time in October.

I also understand that many terminal tackle manufacturers have come up with their own custom designs which they promote, and what you see in the images below of a unpainted or plain lead head is no longer popular in marketing the leadhead itself, but in selling the 'soft plastic or artificial soft bait' behind it to the fishing public.

Just a little tackle-refresher here on using one of the most productive lures for striped bass and weakfish developed for use in our region....

In speaking with Captain Paul of the CAPTAIN DAVE III on his upcoming offshore fishing trips:

Everyone's favorite season is soon approaching!

The offshore wrecks are starting to fill up as we speak and last year it was like fishing in an aquarium with the amount of different migrating species we caught. Catches included Jumbo Seabass, hub cap porgies, weakfish, cod, pollock, hake and blues!

It seems like the wreck dwellers have started their migration early this year and the wrecks should be loaded up by our first trip Sunday Oct 31st. The trip leaves 1am and Returns between 5-7 pm.

We will be fishing 50-70 mile wrecks, bait will be included and tackle available for purchase. There is a 45 man limit and the fare is $175 pp. Spots have begun to fill up book yours before its too late!

We also have added one more 32 hour Tile fish trip and it will be our last one for the year!

Tile fishing has been spectacular the past couple of years and if you’re looking to get in on one last Tile trip for the year than book this one now! Leaving 7pm October 28th and returning 3-5am Saturday October 30th. 20 man limit, $400 pp bait and ice included.

To reserve a spot: http://www.captdaveonline.com or call 917-251-2628

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:17 pm

As we start the first full week of black fishing here in the once Empire State at this time in October, it does seem that there is not only positive fishing reports, but also what has been released by the ASMFC as far as the most recent stock survey on TAUTOG.

I emphasize here in posting this news as what is being reported was so positive in the data for the LI-CT Tautog management area, that just maybe, and wishful thinking here that 'someone' will request a regulatory change this winter by the NYS DEC for recreational possession equalization in the possession limit for blackfish in Long Island Sound that is similar to blackfish harvested along the south shore of Long Island, and especially in the NY BIGHT.

For those interested since it is rare to have such positive news from the fishery managers on blackfish:

ASFMC: Tautog Management Board on October 18, 2021
http://www.asmfc.org/files/Meetings/202 ... tBoard.pdf

In other fishing reporting news has been the hard blowing weather which seems to be something fishermen have dealt with since the middle of August, but as much with the current running so hard as I was told yesterday that sinkers normal reserved for the offshore wreck trips are being used while fishing a mile or two off a east end shoreline.

There was also a strong reminder about people on private vessels with being out in this quirky regional weather with a small downeast vessel running aground at Fisherman’s Beach off Nantucket. I read stories both on socialized media and on the twitter-sphere with the news from Mike Saccone who is a senior contributor @Live Boston 617 as two POB (persons on board) were safe after their vessel ending up grounded in the surfline. An excavator was brought in, along with a Sea Tow vessel standing by to help refloat the vessel.

Folks, pay closer attention to the weather, and either delay your fishing trip plans or seek safe harbor in order to lessen events like this to happen. I full well know with my own personal stories from doing this type of work in the past this is a message that all too many will ignore......

For the boats which did get out fishing yesterday, I did receive a picture from an eastend fishing captain and a fellow angler holding up a triggerfish that was pretty close to making the 5 lb mark on the scale. As you have read in this forum, as well as seen with other pictures posted by fishermen upon socialized media, I cannot remember a time when seeing so many 'triggers' that were harvested and weighting over 4 lbs. In looking back, and I will ask a few captains over the coming weeks on their thoughts on this season in catching triggerfish....

This has been one of the stories which I enjoy bringing to light in posting images sent in, and thank you Nick, when fishermen go out to their local seafood emporium and take a few pics on the price of fish. This one though, and I understand this is at WEGMANS which would be like....going to WHOLE FOODS here in the County of Kings as far as eye-opening prices for seafood items.

As has been reported here with the high price of blue claw crab during this past summer for both whole and crab meat, and now with the prices with the various Alaskan crab products due to quota issues in that region. In fact, if you follow ALASKA FISH RADIO: http://www.alaskafishradio.com/ you can read updated stories on crab prices consistently jumping every week through June due to high business and consumer demand (who would of thought?).

Anyhow, we do realize that various seafood products will not be getting any cheaper, especially as we approach the holiday season, and expectations of a 'Black Christmas' is starting to be a familiar statement being made by economist as far as food product 'availability,' better known as, scarcity that will continue to drive up prices on the retail level. For those looking to have frozen seafood products for the holidays and lessen the "ouch" when the bill is rung up at the counter, start looking for specials, if you can find them, now.....

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM